By ^NS –
We recently ran into a humorous piece on Mzansi memes on how to survive in Johannesburg. We have added a few extra tips because we care. Feel free to add your own tips below:
- Do not forget the reason you moved to Johannesburg. Most people forget and go back home with no degrees or money.
- Find people who inspire you, energy is contagious.
- Do not spend money that you will need for the rest of the month. There is nothing worse than having more month left than you do money.
- If you have to cross Mandela Bridge at night, walk on the road by the yellow lane, not on the pedestrian sidewalk
- We have meter reading schedules available on our website, don’t allow strangers in your house’
- Do not be naive. Always follow your intuition.
- Visit home. Sometimes you need to gain perspective again.
- Buy a car you can afford. Do not fall for false pretenses. The best car is a paid-up car.
- If anyone offers to give you quick and easy money if you help them with something, decline the offer
- Again, stay in your own financial lane
- Always buy food first, and put aside money for transportation. You cannot get paid if you cannot get to work.
- Use public transport and avoid traffic.
- Do not sign any contracts on the streets. Anything that requires a signature needs to be carefully thought out.
- Always have a back-up plan when you go to a party. Know how you will get home.
- Ensure that no one is behind you if you are carrying a backpack.
- If you are lost, rather walk into a store and figure yourself out. Do not wander around.
- Do not look back if someone taps your shoulder, unless they say your name.
- Keep your belongings in the boot of your car
- Stop and admire the buildings, really, the hustle should not make you blind.
- Be you. You are your best asset.
Credit: Mzansi Memes. Here is a link to the full piece: Mzansi Memes