By ^GZ – I recently went to the #SowetoWineFest for some wine tasting and made a big blunder by actually drinking the wine instead of just tasting it.
Drinking all that wine was fun at first until the few glasses I had kicked in and I started feeling like I had more than enough to drink.
It can be tempting to indulge in all that delicious wine. However, you need to get the most out of the event and take it slow. Obviously you are there to enjoy yourself but the purpose of a wine-testing event is to get a taste of all the various wine flavours, take in the aromas and slowly appreciate the wine.
Have a look at these five wine-tasting etiquettes to maximise your full experience of wine tasting:
- Have a quick sniff of your wine to form a first impression;
- Bring the glass up to your nose for a second impression and take in the aroma;
- Sip, don’t gulp, and let it roll around your mouth;
- Don’t feel obliged to drink a wine if you don’t like it, either swallow if you like the taste in your mouth or make use of the spittoons and spit it out;
- Lastly, have a sip of water or have some crackers to cleanse your palate and get ready for your next wine.
Read all about what happened at the #SowetoWineFest on the City of Joburg website.